Sign up to receive casino news, our latest exclusive bonuses and info about new casinos and slots.
Different Online Casino Bonuses and How They WorkShare on Facebook Share on Google+
The online gaming world gives you many opportunities to earn bonuses. This is great from the perspective that you have many chances to collect free cash.
The problem, though, is that you might not understand how all of these deals work. That said, we’ll discuss different types of online bonuses and what each specific one offers.
A deposit bonus is based on a percentage of your deposit. Once you fund your account, you’ll be eligible to earn the bonus.
Here’s an example on how these deals work:
- A gaming site offers a 100% match bonus worth up to $500.
- You deposit $250.
- You can now earn a $250 bonus upon meeting terms and conditions (T&Cs).
Satisfying T&Cs is a big part of earning deposit bonuses. You can’t withdraw any bonus money until meeting these terms.
Here are key terms that are found at many casinos:
- Wagering requirements (a.k.a. rollover): You have to wager a multiple of the bonus before cashing out (e.g. 40x the bonus).
- Sticky (a.k.a. non-cashable): These bonuses can’t be withdrawn — only winnings accrued through the bonus can be.
- Reduced rollover contributions: Certain games (e.g. blackjack) may only count 20% or less towards meeting rollover.
- Claiming bonus: Casinos put a time limit on how long you have to claim your bonus.
Gaming sites have plenty of other T&Cs that you should look at before pursuing a deposit deal. However, these terms are definitely among the most important.
Welcome Deposit Bonus
The first deposit that you make at most casinos qualifies for a welcome bonus. These offers usually include one or more deposit bonuses and possibly free spins.
Here’s an example:
- Welcome bonus package offers up to $1,000 + 50 free spins.
- First deposit is eligible for a 75% match deposit bonus worth up to $500 + 25 free spins.
- Second deposit is eligible for a 100% match bonus worth up to $300 + 25 free spins.
- Third deposit qualifies for a 125% match bonus worth up to $200.
Most welcome offers are generous, because casinos are trying to recruit new customers. You definitely want to take advantage of such deals whenever you deposit at a new casino. Here is a list with the best welcome deposit bonuses.
No Deposit Bonus
Unlike many online casinos, a no deposit bonus doesn’t require you to make a deposit. Instead, you just need to sign up to receive these offers.
The best thing about no deposit bonuses is that they give you a chance to try the casino for free, and also an opportunity to win something for free. The only “charge” is the time spent signing up.
However, no deposit bonuses can’t be withdrawn. They only offer the chance to cash out winnings. Other drawbacks include that these bonuses are small and featuring stringent wagering requirements.
Here’s an example:
- You’re receive a $20 no deposit bonus.
- You generate $15 in winnings.
- Playthrough is 50x.
- You have $10 left over after meeting wagering requirements.
You can technically withdraw the $10 afterward, but only if this amount meets the casino’s minimum cashout. Here is a list with some of the best no deposit bonuses
A free chip is basically the same thing as a no deposit bonus. The “chip” is just free funds that you use to play real-money casino games.
The main difference is that free chips are normally awarded to existing customers — not just new players. These deals come with the same high playthrough as no deposit bonuses. see free chip bonuses.
A reload offer is a deposit bonus that’s available to existing customers. The “reload” term is used to differentiate these deals from welcome bonuses.
Most reload bonuses aren’t as big as welcome offers. For example, they might only offer a 50% or 75% match worth up to between $50 and $100. But you should still consider these bonuses at your favorite casino(s).
High Roller Bonuses
As the name implies, these deals are aimed at high rollers. They’re characterized by offering larger amounts of cash than normal deposit bonuses.
For instance, a high roller bonus might feature a 125% match on your deposit worth up to $2,000. These offers can be available to either new or existing players. Check out the high roller bonuses here.
Loyalty Deposit Bonuses
Many gaming sites feature loyalty programs. Deposit bonuses are one of the most-common deals offered to VIPs.
The bonuses usually increase in both match percentage and size as you improve your status. The lowest loyalty status, for example, might only receive 75% match bonuses worth up to $100. Meanwhile, the highest level could be eligible for 125% match bonuses up to $1,000.
Casinos give out free spins as both deposit and no deposit bonuses. These spins allow you to generate winnings that can later be cashed out.
Here’s an example:
- You receive 25 free spins.
- You win $20 total on real-money slots.
- Playthrough is 50x on free spins winnings.
- 20 x 50 = $1,000 must be wagered.
- You have $10 left after meeting wagering requirements.
One catch here is that you must have enough money to meet the casino’s minimum withdrawal. If not, you’ll need to keep playing or make a deposit to generate enough funds for a cashout.